Welcome to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 2034 official website. Our almost 3000 members have been lighting up the province of Manitoba since 1958 and we represent the employees of Manitoba Hydro, The Town of Gillam, and The Town of Snow Lake .
Our major employer is Manitoba Hydro where our members generate, transmit and distribute the electricity in Manitoba. We operate, maintain, and repair all of Manitoba Hydro’s facilities, from the large generating stations to the trucks you see driving down the road to the radios in those trucks.
IBEW Local 2034 is very proud that our members are involved citizens in every major community in Manitoba and are among the best citizens in our province. Many of our members are Volunteer Fire Fighters, Cub Scout and Girl Scout Leaders, Hockey and Baseball Coaches and Civic Politicians.
Our members are pleased to provide 24 hour a day year round service to keep the lights on in Manitoba. Our member’s work ethics contribute to the fact that Manitoba Hydro has the lowest electrical rates in North America and among the lowest rates in the world.
IBEW Local 2034 fully supports the objects of the IBEW that were first drafted on November 21, 1891 and outlined in our IBEW constitution as follows:
- To organize all workers in the entire electrical industry in the United States and Canada, including all those in public utilities and electrical manufacturing, into local unions;
- To promote reasonable methods of work; To cultivate feelings of friendship among those of our industry;
- To settle all disputes between employers and employees by arbitration (if possible);
- To assist each other in sickness or distress; To secure employment; To reduce the hours of daily labour;
- To secure adequate pay for our work;
- To seek a higher and higher standard of living;
- To seek security for the individual; and,
- By legal and proper means, to elevate the moral, intellectual, and social conditions of our members, their families, and dependents, in the interest of a higher standard of citizenship.